Thursday, October 1, 2009

Take a Ride Down the Rabbit Hole!

Hi my name is Ashley and my most favorite past time is reading, especially children’s books. I love to go in a bookstore and search for a story I could read in my future classroom. I am anxiously waiting for the movie release of Alice in Wonderland with Johnny Depp. Alice in Wonderland is a story I remember reading and watching on television. One of my fondest memories is going to my grandmother’s house, when I was little, and the movie was always ready in the VCR so we could watch it together. This is especially memorable because she was the only one who would ever watch the movie with me or read me the story. My parents, aunt, and grandfather despised the little blonde character. I remember if one of them walked in while I was watching it, they would say "Not the blonde bitch again."


I am a senior at Rowan University in New Jersey. I have a dual major in Elementary Education and Communication: Writing Arts. I am also working towards an endorsement in Special Education. I am currently taking a class called Writing, Research, and Technology. The blog I am writing is part of the course. I chose to research Alice in Wonderland because it is a story I love to read and want to read to my children and students. Reading is an important element in classrooms today. Schools focus on improving student’s reading skills at an early age. I want to use a classic story from my childhood and portray the importance of reading in my blog. As a future teacher, I want to be knowledgeable in various forms of literature. When I read a story in the classroom, I select stories with meanings, messages, and morals. When a story is adapted to other versions, movies, or television programs it has a new meaning. I feel Alice in Wonderland is a great story because it contains a wide variety of adaptations which can be used in the classroom to compare and contrast characters or events.

No comments:

Post a Comment